[App_rpt-users] connections fail

Kevin Custer kuggie at kuggie.com
Thu Nov 28 17:21:21 UTC 2013

On 11/28/2013 2:58 AM, Johnny Keeker wrote:
> Kevin;
> I to appreciate 2135, your efforts, and all the good natured sysops. I
> believe WAN is the best voip system in the USA, mainly because the
> core group is helpful. They're not out to censure or reprimand the
> new-bee.In short, They don't criticize users they actually offer to
> help when possible. No other VOIP system can honestly set claim to that.
> Now Then; I would very much like to ask a question,what linux version
> is 2135 using.Xelatec LCC 'xipar 6.3 or ACID all-star centos
> 5.9Please; If you be so kind as to elaborate just enough to explain
> why you chose one or the other for the wan system.
> Thanks, and happy thanksgiving to yours..
> Jonny Keeker.

Howdy Jonny,

Thanks for your kind words.  As all of you know, there is a big learning
curve with this technology.  I/we certainly don't expect that Jim Dixon
or Steve RoDgers would have the time to help with thousands of AllStar
deployments personally.  I don't profess to be any kind of expert with
Linux or anything else, although I have placed about 50 RF connected
nodes on the air and have helped with many many more.  The quality of
AllStar spoils you, and while I was first made aware of it in 2004, it
wasn't until the unveiling of the USB radio and DSP that I decided to
give it a try.  I have an original app_rpt/zapata radio interface board
that I received in the mail from Steve. The core group tries to stay as
open minded as possible.  That said, we have had several things that we
just couldn't deal with like Echolink drive-by's and Echolink's lack of
voice quality.  For those reasons, we (WAN) disallows Echolink on the
current core system.  We do sponsor a secondary hub that does allow
Echolink, but it has fewer full time connections to it.

AllStar's audio throughput is so good that when configured correctly,
with quality radio hardware, will pass many digital technologies like
Fldigi and similar protocols.  We recently deployed a WAN Digital Hub
and have started doing testing with various digital systems to determine
compatibly.  Like several other large hubs, 2135 has become something
that requires the utmost in reliability.  In the coming weeks, 2135 will
be rebuilt on more modern server hardware.  While the Dell 1850 has
served us well, it was a used piece of hardware when it was installed.
We recently received a donation of several newer servers that we will be
deploying.  2135 will be an array of multiple servers with some type of
fail-over.

As for your question, 2135 is using an old Fedora release of XIPAR,
although for this or any hub, it could just as easily have been ACID.
There are differences between ACID and XIPAR, but they not significant
on what release is used for a non radio connected hub. Since you asked
specifically about 2135, I'll not go into the differences where radio
connected servers are concerned - unless you want me to...

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving all,
Kevin Custer - WJ8G