[App_rpt-users] Fwd: Re: REMOTE login issues with putty

N7FM larry at n7fm.com
Wed Oct 16 09:26:31 UTC 2013

Angelo,

Sorry I wasn't trying to confuse anything.

Not being a guru I was just trying to mention another thing that might
prevent Juan's login from working.

I didn't see where Juan said what version of anything that was being
loaded besides saying he was trying to connect to his "Centos box" from
a remote PC. That plus mentioning doing different installs which might
overwrite any previous account settings.

You mention your Asterisk install working right from the start. It's
been a while since I installed ACID here and I can't recall if It worked
without configuring or not. Vaguely seems I had to add myself a user
account and password.

Many OS come with different programs installed and other programs
needing to be added and configured.
To my recollection the CentOS package did load a ssh client but it still
required keys or user accounts and permissions for remote access to
work. Since I don't run CentOS currently I may be in error but from
playing in the past it appeared to work that way for me.

In the case of SSH there are "Client" and "Server" portions and each
needs to be configured to allow different users or groups access to a
particular machine unless already setup as part of some preconfigured
package.

On the Ubuntu machine I am running right now I was unable to access it
remotely via SSH.  Could connect TO other machines where I already had
an account but couldn't access this PC from others until I added a
username and password for the remote user on this PC.

Larry - N7FM