[App_rpt-users] SIP VoIP for Asterisk

Bill South wbs099 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 5 20:39:11 UTC 2013

     While this thread is not part of what I originally asked about (SIP provider recommendations) I'll add that 911 access is mandated in some LATAs, but seems to be some debate if it must be 911 or if 9-911 is OK, or other variations.  I worked in the telecom business for over 25 years in various parts of the USA and different localities would respond differently to the question about 911.  When E911 first came out, where a database lookup was done by the local police emeregency agency systems answering 911 calls showing names and addresses, some jurisdictions mandated that database had to show the exact location the call was originating from, not a billing address of some companies headquarters.  Big problem for some large companies where a single billing address is used for all telco circuits.  For residences I'm not sure anyone has put much thought into laws regarding 911 dialing and any restrictions thereof; businesses on the other hand, where
 100's maybe thousands of workers are in the same building and floor and locating a 911 caller could be pretty tough for local emnergency responders, there are, or were anyway, laws in some locations mandating 911 unrestricted.  The thought has always been though that in an emergency people have the expectation, whether at home or work, that they can dial 911 and get help; not sure where the laws stands now on that across the USA.

 Canadian customers have to provide an
 address and name for 911 purposes for a DID.  Bell and
 Rogers were mandated with their VoIP services.

 I gave them the logs of the server where the IP address were
 listed.   Rogers was good and moved me to a new IP address
 and filtered out the source.

 I had an iptables script that would ban IP address that
 attempted a certain number of connections during a certain
 amount of time.  Then ban that IP address.  It worked great.
  It stopped the hackers script dead cold.  Until they ran
 the 911 script.  They were ruthless in their attacks.

 My all-star node was the best fun I have had with Ham radio.
  I'll fire it back up again.   Just waiting for the dust
 to settle without a DID setup.

 Dwaine

 Jim Duuuude <telesistant at hotmail.com> wrote:

 Double BRAVO-SIERRA!!

 If that were true, a LOT of large business owners (some of
 which may even operate
 large businesses :-) ) would be in jail, if they HAPPEN to
 have a phone system or even
 worse, service from the "phone company", that
 requires dialing 9 to get an "outside line".

 I bet even the police dept has to dial 9 to dial 911.

 And as far as that goes, put the line in your pet
 tarantula's name, and make it clear to them
 that the spider is more then willing to 'serve its
 time' for such a terrible transgressions!! :-)

 Wholesale outbound telecom services, such as ones provided
 by most SIP providers, are *NOT*
 "in your name", *NOR* do they even technically
 have a "phone number" or a "service
 address".
 Just because you pay the bill for them does not, in any
 manner, construe that you are the end user
 of the service.

 Jim