[App_rpt-users] SIP VoIP for Asterisk

Dwaine Garden VE3GIF DwaineGarden at rogers.com
Thu Sep 5 22:29:18 UTC 2013

I walked over to the telco team where I work and mentioned our conversation to them.   They told me that the law states you have to clearly label the telephone device if you change the dialup number from 911.   (That's why we have all our VOIP phones labeled with the different number)

I mentioned the AllStar node.   They said E911 is a complete mess.  You can't label an outside connection to a VOIP server.  You would not want to either if you could.

Most companies are just ignoring the requirement to have an open dial plan for E911 from the Internet.  If you find yourself in a legal situation.   The telco guys told me your at fault.  You get fined.

E911 should really be traceable back to the person that placed the call.  They can do that with certain, so the law goes after the person which e911 is registered under.

The guys in the telco team just laughed when I talked to them about the AllStar node.   Welcome to VOIP and the E911 mess.

Dwaine