[App_rpt-users] announcements

Kevin Custer kuggie at kuggie.com
Sun Sep 8 19:40:55 UTC 2013

On 9/8/2013 1:23 PM, Tim Sawyer wrote:
> When you set the TX and RX levels per instructions the announcements
> will be the correct level.

With all due respect, what is a "correct announcement level" level is up
for debate.  (I'm not bringing this up to change or start a thread on
why one distro is better than another - and I'd appreciate if no one
else did either).

When I got into this technology, one of my biggest gripes, along with
many users, was the level of the telemetry.  Allison just stepped on
folks, especially if they were a little soft spoken.
Of course, this IS with the levels set properly.

This is one area where XIPAR has an advantage.

In zipper, we can set the Nominal Telemetry Level and the Duck Level.  I
run -10 dB nominal, and -15 dB duck.  With these levels, Allison doesn't
blast you out of the water, and if someone (somewhere) has the mic
keyed, she's ducked out an additional amount, BUT you can still hear
what she is saying - even along with a loud mouth (such as myself).
While I refer to "she" (Allison) all telemetry, including CWID's and
whatever is controlled by these settings.

Thanks,
Kevin