[App_rpt-users] announcements

Bryan D. Boyle bdboyle at bdboyle.com
Mon Sep 9 00:16:00 UTC 2013

On 9/8/2013 4:38 PM, Buddy Brannan wrote:
> I agree that this is a great feature that Xipar has. Also subjective, and I don’t know what they’re doing differently, but I have an easier time with level adjustments with Xipar (the automatic level setting for rxnoise seems to work a bit better), and at least on my radios, audio “sounds” better, better being kind of relative, yes, I understand that. However, it looks like xipar is missing a couple things that main line acide distro has, I mean besides that acid works with Allstar’s autopatch and dial-in service without additional fiddling. Doesn’t appear Xipar has the provision for recording or streaming from app_rpt. Also, it looks like ID pitch and volume are fixed (and a bit lo of my taste), and the echo link channel driver didn’t compile last time I tried a beta of it several months ago. And i at least don’t really need or want Freepbx. So, until or unless Echolink gets worked out along with streaming/recording, I’m sticking with acid, even in spite of some of xipar’s
  real a
dvantages.
> --

You know, what's interesting, is the different focus of the two and how
they've developed on parallel, but, in some respects, divergent paths:
open source is like that.

I think a couple things, from my standpoint, that I'd like to see in
acid would be including DCS as an option for coded squelch.  IIRC, XIPAR
has it.  That, and the variable audio level features Kevin described.
Other than that?  Both are viable, excellent programs that address a
need...you pays your money, you takes your chances.

So, they're both good; guess it just comes down to what you need to do,
how you addressed it with what tools you had at the time, and how much
pain it would be to migrate (though, to tell the truth, I'd like to try
WN3A's rewrite of one of the codecs...I hear the quality is superb...)

Bryan