[App_rpt-users] How to stream live audio from URI to broadcast software.

Mark Johnston markjohnston73 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 15:06:58 UTC 2014

Add this to your rpt.conf

outstreamcmd=/bin/sh,-c,/usr/bin/lame --preset cbr 16 -r -m m -s 8
--bitwidth 16 - - | /usr/bin/ezstream -qvc /etc/ezstream.xml

I put it above the [Morse....] section - for the node you want to broadcast
keep it all on one line btw -

***** Please Note ***** It has been a while since I used the instructions
here but they should work on Cent OS 5.x
Do NOT just run the EZS script - it is only written as a guide -
attached is a .tgz file with everything you should need -
to decompress I put it in the /root folder
at the shell run -
tar -xvhf ezs.tgz

That should extract the files to the ezs directory -

----- Edit the ezstream file - ezstream.xml -----
<ezstream>
    <url>http://audio9.radioreference.com:80/#######</url>
    <sourcepassword>PW####</sourcepassword>
    <format>MP3</format>
    <filename>stdin</filename>
    <svrinfoname>NAME###</svrinfoname>
    <svrinfourl>http://www.radioreference.com/</svrinfourl>
    <svrinfogenre>Amateur Radio</svrinfogenre>
    <svrinfodescription>DESCRIPTION</svrinfodescription>
    <svrinfobitrate>16</svrinfobitrate>
    <svrinfochannels>1</svrinfochannels>
    <svrinfosamplerate>22050</svrinfosamplerate>
    <svrinfopublic>1</svrinfopublic>
</ezstream>
-----

----- Run the following commands -----
wget -q -O - http://www.atomicorp.com/installers/atomic | sh
wget
http://packages.sw.be/rpmforge-release/rpmforge-release-0.5.2-2.el5.rf.i386.rpm

rpm -ivh rpmforge-release-0.5.2-2.el5.rf.i386.rpm
rpm --import http://apt.sw.be/RPM-GPG-KEY.dag.txt

yum install libshout*
yum install libxml*
yum install taglib
yum install lame

cp ezstream.xml /etc/ezstream.xml

cp bin/* /usr/bin/
cp share/man/man1/* /usr/share/man/man1/
cp -R /share/doc/ez* /usr/share/doc/
-----

One issue with ezstream - this is apparently a known issue - for whatever
reason it tends to crash from time to time - sometimes once in a day
sometimes every week or 2 -

If you want to address the issue, the only resolution I have found is this -
add to your crontab -  crontab -e

*/30 * * * * (/root/killezstream > /dev/null 2>&1)

---- killezstream --- looks like this
# Kill ezstream to keep the connection - alive longer
kill -9 $(pgrep ezstream)&
----

One would think this would stop ezstream every 30 mins but it does not -
might have at most a 30 min down time - but it has worked well for me -
Tried
much shorter times, and that did not do well but feel free to experiment.

To start the stream need to run
asterisk -rx "module reload"
or reboot -

Hope this helps!

73s

Mark KC7DMF

"Got Root?"

How many software engineers does it take to change a light bulb?
*None. It's a hardware problem.*

Unix is user friendly. It's just very particular about who it's friends are.
WINDOWS: Will Install Needless Data On Whole System
MICROSOFT: Most Intelligent Customers Realize Our Software Only Fools
Teenagers.

A ntennas
P oorly
P laced
L acks
E ngineering

The best way to accelerate a computer running Windows is at 9.81 m/s².

*"I get paid to support Windows, I use Linux to get work done."*