[App_rpt-users] this may help others with zaptel issues on some hardware

AH2S rob at ah2s.org
Sun Apr 27 05:25:01 UTC 2014

In case there are others that have come across issues getting an ACID
server up and running where the zaptel driver is misbehaving, this one
little gem of info might make all the difference in the world!  I had
previously tried everything I could think of, including a dozen
different kernels and associated build environments, each time
recompiling Asterisk and associated drivers (zaptel being one of them,
of course).  But nothing worked.  The zaptel driver refused to function
even though it appeared to load up just fine.  I just couldn't get it to
work no matter what I did.  In frustration I put it aside for a few
weeks.  Well, I just recently got back to it but this time I found
success!  Here's my solution:

Disable acpi at boot up.  You can do this by appending, "acpi=off" to
the kernel boot parameters in the grub boot loader.  For example on my
CentOS 5.1 system I modified the /boot/grub/menu.lst entry for my kernel
boot parameters as follows:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-348.12.1.el5PAE ro root=LABEL=/ acpi=off

Save the file and reboot.  This one little thing made the difference
between having a useless ACID install on hardware at a colocation
facility 8,000 miles away, to a fully functional AllStar Server handling
several remote RTCMs!  I had all but given up hope on getting the zaptel
driver to work properly on this hardware until I tried this on a whim!
Since I haven't seen this info posted anywhere yet, I thought I'd offer
it up to the group in the hopes that it might help someone else.

--
Rob Pectol - AH2S
AllStar Node 2147