[App_rpt-users] app_rpt and chan_usbradio working on kernel 3.8 on an Odroid.

Matt - VK3VS matt at vk3smb.com
Sun Aug 3 14:11:25 UTC 2014

Hi,

First time sending a listing here, this was suggested by one of the
admins when I emailed them with my findings, I'm sorry if I am repeating
anyone, I have not had a real good look at the archives.

I am trying to set up app_rpt and ascociated stuff on an Odroid U3.  for
those who do not know what one is, the basics are, a quad core 1.7ghz
arm thing with 2gb of ddr ram and 3 usb ports.  A lot of work has gone
into creating different flavours of linux to suit this thing.

Anyway, I settled on the Fedora mix as it is closest to centos (and
where asterisk was born historically to my understanding).

Briefly, to save everyone reading quite a large email, here is what
happened:

* Got the kernel source, and allstar source
* Modified Zaptel to work with the new kernel and installed it.  there
is a work around (that involves writing a bash script) to make it work
with udevadm
* Modified Chan_Usbradio.c with a couple of includes, and took the
references to Limey out of it
* Had to install the Alsa-oss wrapper

And it all worked.  However.  Noticable is a slight jitter every now and
then, and the volumes have to be set fairly high to do any good

After doing a bit of mucking around, it appears the Alsa-oss wrapper is
interrupting the audio stream quite nicely.  I did get all this running
on a pi with ast 1.6 and the version of rpt/usbradio that is in its
source and had the same problem but the jitter was more pronounced.

So, Back to the drawing board.  OSS went propriety and hence, was
dropped by linux.  However a little while ago, the company that bought
it, turned it back to the GPL from version 4.

Reading the documentation, it also brings back the legacy /dev/dsp#
devices, as links not wrappers or emulators!!

So the next task is to remove all alsa rubbish, and re-compile the
kernel with oss4 and then see how we go again.

The full story is here: http://www.vk3smb.com/wiki/index.php/Odroid if
anyone is interested.

If there is interest I will keep the list posted (pun intended) on how I
go.

Thanks, Matt
VK3VS/VK3SMB