[App_rpt-users] Mini ITX Choice

George Csahanin george at dyb.com
Wed Aug 20 05:51:54 UTC 2014

Tim, I just recently tried something off-beat, and not for everyone. I have in the past used D945 Intel boards in a Mini M200 case with a CPU blower and a case side blower. But you have to get decent fans, most of the stuff out there will expire quickly and you get overheating and shutdown. I have node 2360 running on one of these with Limey on it, no problems after I changed the fans. Also the right pico power supply is necessary. There are a couple of models that make the 12 volts. Most seems to pass the 12V along from the outside power supply. If that wiggles a bit low, the CPU power source goes bonkers and you have a lockup/shut down, etc. But the ones that have not only wide input but down to 6V are the ones to get. They just run and run and very cool.

OK, that all said, background, I linked two sites using something called DRIL, adapted from openh323 by Armadillo in Texas. Worked ok, but a CPU killer, ran at 100% always. Built on a WYSE/Netier thin client box.  Then I discovered Allstar and the above setup. But I recently saw a WYSE thin client on eBay in a nice package. Has 128MB od flash drive and I stuck a gig of ram in, made a version of Limey to run it and tried it and it was great. Going to modify my node to it sooner or later. Cost? $15, including power supply and a very nice small package. Two nodes in it? CPU  a bit small. DSP audio? Probably not. Didn’t even try.

Buy all new stuff? I’d go with one of the Intel 2500 boards a M200 case ans a PicoPSU60WI flash module and Limey.

GeorgeC

George J Csahanin
W2DB
Cedar Park, TX