[App_rpt-users] A Strange VoIP Experience

Bob kk6ecm at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 05:00:02 UTC 2014

I know this is off topic, but I suspect this list may have someone who can
explain a recent VoIP experience, or perhaps provide a vector to someone who
can.

I have a single public IP from my ISP with a single router. Connected at the
time were my Allstar nodes, Win7 PC, iPad Air, and VoIP phone (Ooma).

I called my sister on her iPhone using my VoIP (Ooma) connection. She did a
dial back based on my call to the VoIP number. The VoIP connection did not
respond, but my iPad Air did, and we were both instantly in a Facetime chat,
but without video.

We are mystified by this experience; how her call got routed to my iPad Air
(not to my phone connected to the VoIP box), and how the Facetime app was
selected on both Apple devices.

Thanks,

Bob

kk6ecm