[App_rpt-users] A Strange VoIP Experience

Takeshi Morgan cypher at arcticwerks.com
Thu Aug 28 06:13:00 UTC 2014

Apple syncs all of your information to your iCloud account on Apples servers by default, when you created an iTunes account an iCloud account was created at the same time. It keeps your contacts, text messages, emails and other information synced to all of your Apple devices using the same iCloud/iTunes account. It  is turned on by default and can be turned off but most people do not. To do this apple devices sync to Apple's servers and when your devices check in they get any updates or changes.

Apple devices prefer making connections via Facetime or iMessage first then falling back to other means, ie: sms or mms or regular phone call

If your Ooma phone number is linked to contact card information for you, in your sisters address book on her phone, her iPhone said she wants to make a call to a voip phone and he is an iCloud user, because your iPad was on and logged into the mothership at Apple her phone started Facetime by default to make the call.

This can be turned off in settings but it will have to be done on every Apple device you have, otherwise this could still happed. If you decide to turn this off you will lose out on the sync features.