[App_rpt-users] audio level

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Sat Aug 30 05:07:42 UTC 2014

I have found a good way to check levels is with the iaxrpt level meter. Going past full scale definitely sends you into digital clipping. About 90% of fullscale max is a good level. This is also a good way to compare levels. You will find that human speech varies all over the place and someone that might appear low in level is actually quite high on the scale. You often perceive the levels to be different based on how you hear them. Since everyone hears it differently and we are dealing with all different kinds of reproducing devices it is really hard to get it to sound the same on all signals even though a level meter shows it to be the same. People also have a tendency to not be consistent in mouth to microphone distance. You need to set it up the way you would naturally talk. I have seen handhelds with noise canceling mics that have virtually no audio 3-4 inches away.

Another factor is PL level. You should probably always have the PLfilter ON. I have seen PL levels that are almost equal to voice levels. This can really screw things up. You often do not hear this on a handheld as the speaker does not reproduce levels below 300hz and if you are using PL on your end the RX has its own filter. Listening on a computer with iaxrpt is another story. You will see rogue PL levels and definitely hear them!

Also if you are using a standard radio and interface the levels are almost always the same. For instance the Alinco 2, 1 1/4, 3/4 meter radios with the URI are 750 on RX and 500 on TX consistently. I have setup 8-10 radios with those values.

73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio