[App_rpt-users] Linking private network nodes to hub

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Fri Dec 19 21:32:33 UTC 2014

Mike,

 You probably won't find anything formal that fits the description of exactly what you want to do. Here is how I do it:
In rpt.conf in the node section add -

startup_macro=*A999

The function code can be anything you want that is not in conflict with any other function. Using the A,B,C,D codes is a good way to do it as it is unlikely anyone would enter that code on the RF side.

and in the function section add -

A999=cmd,/etc/asterisk/local/reconnect_local

File reconnect_local in /etc/asterisk/local

#! /bin/bash

/usr/sbin/asterisk -rx "rpt fun yournode *73distantnode1"
sleep 1
/usr/sbin/asterisk -rx "rpt fun yournode *73distantnode2"
sleep 1
/usr/sbin/asterisk -rx "rpt fun yournode *73distantnode3"

and of course more could be added. The script has to be executable. The sleeps are probably not necessary but it certainly does not hurt anything putting them in. You could also do these multiple connects right within the function command in rpt.conf but I like to use external scripts. You also have the choice of running them via a cron job or manually from the command line.

As I mentioned before you also have the choice of inbound permanent connections to the hub which also work but in the opposite direction. Each remote site would have a startup macro that would connect to the hub. Doing it this way you could come in RF and enter the function code to connect to the hub if necessary.

There is no need to test it. It works. Permanent connections will reconnect if this is a link disruption or the distant station is restarted or rebooted but remember they go away when the originating system is restarted or rebooted. That is why you use a startup macro.

I don't think it really makes much difference which way you do it inbound or outbound. Either way it depends on the hub being there. You could setup some redundancy with some more scripting if you were using inbound connections to the hub that in the event the hub was not there the remote nodes would create alternate connections.

73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio