[App_rpt-users] TKR-840 issue

Jon Rorke jrorke at cogeco.ca
Tue Feb 4 13:42:21 UTC 2014

The TKR 7XX/8XX repeaters have only the analog I/P and O/P and TD and Tr
O/P.

The analog connections can be set for Pre/De emphasis or Flat. But the
Flat is only over the 300 to 3k range and the audio rolls off below 300
hz and 3.3 k.

The Date inputs are basically for external PL/DPL or slow speed data
like 1220 baud and are low pass filtered and limited to 2.5 K deviation.
So there is no Direct mod input available on the these Kenwood repeaters
with out going in and bringing out an "Direct mod : that goes from Dc to
daylight.

So in your config you could feed TX audio into the analog input and PL
into the TD input.
but since you are suggesting you are doing a simulcast then that may
cause other problems with Tx audio among the transmitters.

I dont know it is even possible to bring out a direct mod line as all
the audio is handled via a dsp network in the repeater.
Someone else may correct me on this, but in the short time I have
researched this I have concluded that these units are not the ideal
hardware to do this or even the dstar thing.

This is a case where a "dumber repeater" under hardware control might be
more useful that one under software control.

Jon VA3RQ