[App_rpt-users] method for making calls to asterisk

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Fri Feb 21 04:08:55 UTC 2014

I think this is what you are asking....

Not sure how much you know about creating iax and sip account.

You need to create either a sip (sip.conf) or iax (iax.conf) context that connects to something. A phone, another local or remote asterisk, a voip provider, etc.

You then create a context in extensions.conf that designates the extension to match coming from the radio (autopatch).

In rpt.conf you link to this context when autopatch is enabled  (*61).

61=autopatchup,context=pbx_server,noct=1,farenddisconnect=1,dialtime=20000,quiet=1      ; Autopatch up

In this case the context points  to pbx_server

so here is my extension context -

[pbx_server]
exten => _NXX,1,Dial(IAX2/pbx/${EXTEN})

Basically it says pass any 3 digit number to the pbx context in iax.conf.  This could be passed to sip with sip in place of iax assuming there was a sip context named pbx. The names are arbitrary but must match between contexts.

rpt goes to extension goes to iax or sip

You activate the patch *61 and then dial 520. The extension stanza sends this to the defined iax or sip stanza which is the interface to where you are calling.

The extension could be specific as in -

exten => 520,1,Dial(IAX2/pbx/${EXTEN})

Which would sent extension 520 to the iax or sip account. It also could be something like -

exten => 520,1,Dial(SIP/12035551212 at voipms) or

exten => 520,1,Dial(IAX/voipms/12035551212)

To dial a real phone number either sip or iax assuming you had an account with voipms and stanza in iax.conf or sip.conf linking to them. So in this case dialing 520 on the patch would dial the number 1-203-555-1212 at voip provider voip.ms

The example sip and iax contexts are usually provided by the phone manufacturer or voip provider

I hope that is clear but if not let me know.

I link two asterisk systems here on two different computers. One is an allstar server the other is an asterisk pbx. They are linked with iax and that is what is shown above.

There is a ton of info and books on Asterisk out there. I have been using Asterisk as my home pbx for years and have it linked to X10 and many other home control systems. This can all be linked to the radio if desired.

73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio