[App_rpt-users] method for making calls to asterisk

Geoff ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 23:08:47 UTC 2014

On 02/20/2014 03:33 PM, mike at midnighteng.com wrote:

> I remember a message some time ago related to this but I did not save
> it??? Thought I did ???
>
> Background - I am trying to automate a few things.
>
> I'm looking for a way to make a call "directly to asterisk" via
> app_rpt command ?
>
> For instance, connecting to a iax or sip extension ?

In order to pass a command directly to a running instance of Asterisk

#> asterisk -rx "rpt nodes 2000"
(for example, if you were at the command prompt of the machine that
houses node 2000)

Makes it easy to schedule things in cron, as well.  Better to let the OS
handle things

I have hourly chimes, that play from 6am till 10pm, Monday thru Friday.
It looks like:

0 6-22 * * 1-5 /usr/sbin/asterisk -rx "rpt fun 29655 *81"
The fields are documented all over but for the sake of ease of finding it...

The time and date fields are:

    fieldallowed values

    -------------------

    minute0-59

    hour0-23

    day of month1-31

    month1-12 (or names, see below)

    day of week0-7 (0 or 7 is Sun, or use names)

A field may be an asterisk (*), which always stands for ``first-last''.

Ranges of numbers are allowed. Ranges are two numbers separated with a
hyphen. The specified range is inclusive. For example, 8-11 for an
``hours'' entry specifies execution at hours 8, 9, 10 and 11.

Lists are allowed. A list is a set of numbers (or ranges) separated by
commas. Examples: ``1,2,5,9'', ``0-4,8-12''.

Step values can be used in conjunction with ranges. Following a range
with ``/'' specifies skips of the number's value through the range. For
example, ``0-23/2'' can be used in the hours field to specify command
execution every other hour (the alternative in the V7 standard is
``0,2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18,20,22''). Steps are also permitted after an
asterisk, so if you want to say ``every two hours'', just use ``*/2''.

Names can also be used for the ``month'' and ``day of week'' fields. Use
the first three letters of the particular day or month (case doesn't
matter). Ranges or lists of names are not allowed.

The ``sixth'' field (the rest of the line) specifies the command to be
run. The entire command portion of the line, up to a newline or %
character, will be executed by /bin/sh or by the shell specified in the
SHELL variable of the cronfile. Percent-signs (%) in the command, unless
escaped with backslash (\), will be changed into newline characters, and
all data after the first % will be sent to the command as standard input.

Note: The day of a command's execution can be specified by two fields
--- day of month, and day of week. If both fields are restricted (ie,
aren't *), the command will be run when/either/field matches the current
time. For example,
``30 4 1,15 * 5'' would cause a command to be run at 4:30 am on the 1st
and 15th of each month, plus every Friday.

All that being said, you can set a crontab to do what you want, when you
want it done.

-Geoff/W5OMR