[App_rpt-users] Voted Simulcast Configuration Questions

Caleb Pal cleb at defcon-3.net
Thu Feb 27 07:17:17 UTC 2014

Hello All,

We are working on setting up a Voted Simulcast system on 70cm, and
wanted to get ya'lls input on a few things. Excuse me for being a little
new to this!

We have two existing repeaters, both Motorola Quantars, with 4 wire
Wireline cards. They are currently both on the same frequency, with
different PL's to access. The Quantars have pretty diverse coverage
areas, but there is definitely some overlap. I have ordered, and hope to
have shortly Trimble Thunderbolts as well as RTCM's for both machines. I
have a few questions about setting this all up.

1.) Quantar to RTCM interface and Quantar Programming: Can someone
provide pinouts or diagrams for interfacing the RTCM to the Quantar? Is
audio off of the 4W connector, and COR/TX via the MRTI? How is the
Quantar Programmed for operation with the RTCM?

2.) Tuning: Is it OK to have the Quantars tuned before bringing the RTCM
into the mix, or is it best to do it all on the service monitor with the
RTCM controlling the Quantar? What are the important points to hit when
tuning the Quantar/RTCM?

3.) Thunderbolt to RTCM: Is there documentation on this interface? Is it
serial between the two or is there a 1 PPS signal as well?

4.) Latency/Jitter: What is the top end of the latency the
Voting/Simulcast system can handle? We are working on getting a private
VLAN over Fiber between our two sites, but until the funding for that
becomes available, we will be working over the internet and a VPN. How
does the system handle Jitter, and how much jitter can the system handle
before things start behaving poorly?

5.) Processor Requirements: We currently have 2 TX/RX sites, and plan to
have a 3rd in the future. Will something like a BeagleBone Black handle
the load? Our alternative would be an Fit PC 2, running an 1.6GHz  Atom.
Open to suggestions.

Thanks Much!

Caleb