[App_rpt-users] Voted Simulcast Configuration Questions

Chuck Henderson rpt2 at chuck.midlandsnetworking.com
Thu Feb 27 21:07:14 UTC 2014

3.) Thunderbolt to RTCM:  This is both serial data and 1PPS.  (receive
data, ground, and 1PPS)
4.) Latency/Jitter:  By configuring buffers properly you can deal with more
than normal Internet latency and jitter.  The only limitation is that you
could run out of buffer memory in the RTCM if you go beyond several hundred
milliseconds.
5.) Processor Requirements: I don't know what the minimum is but I use an
Intel Atom D510MO and it is more than enough to run 2 repeaters with a
total of 7 RTCM/Voter boards, 3 on one repeater and 4 on the other repeater.
6.)  Internet/VPN/Vlan/NAT:  I have had no problems using any combination
of these.  As long as you understand the technology and take into account
MTU limitations.  If you do not already understand those requirements then
you are better off to just use standard Internet access without VPN/Vlan.
 NAT is no problem.
7.) Simulcast transmitter clock:  This is independent of the RTCM.  Using
the 10MHz GPSDO to control the transmitter frequency requires additional
hardware between the GPS and the transmitter.  Micro-node did at one time
sell a device for that but it is still not listed on their web site. Did
you already read this?
http://ohnosec.org/pipermail/app_rpt-users/2012-May/004463.html
 Some transmitters that are built for simulcast may be able to take the
10MHz signal direct from the GPSDO, but most are not able to directly
interface to it.

Chuck,  WB9UUS,  CCIE2285