[App_rpt-users] ACID Capabilities

Robert robert at controlservers.net
Fri Jul 4 11:35:59 UTC 2014

I was all set to begin setting up a server using a dual processor AMD
because I have one gathering dust. I'm told that I don't need a "server" but
a 1U was given to me and the opportunity to mount it at a data center. I
don't see a 64-bit distro so I'm assuming that only x86? The 64-bit AMD
Opteron 275 as I recall can use the instruction set of x86 and I'm okay with
overkill. I thought that if I had anything extra I could maybe share with
the less fortunate, although I don't know my own needs yet. This server has
8GB of RAM and I was going to change the RAID to a SD drive. I've loaded
CentOS many, many times and I know that the standard distro can handle a
dual processor but can the Acid distro? I guess I figured that if a P4
2.8GHz can handle 4 nodes than a dual processor should be able to handle 8
if the kernel allows a dual proc.

I'd appreciate a moment of someone's time to tell me if I can use what I
have and save some money. I don't need to get all fancy; I was trying to
save money and buy the RTCM.

Thanks in advance.