[App_rpt-users] New Raspberry Pi

Michael Wolthuis wolthuis at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 15:18:39 UTC 2014

Doug,
Does this same concern apply to Banana Pi?

Mike
kb8zgl

From:  Doug Crompton <doug at crompton.com>
Date:  Friday, July 18, 2014 at 6:40 PM
To:  K5BFC <apprptusers at westbrook.com>
Cc:  "app_rpt-users at ohnosec.org" <app_rpt-users at ohnosec.org>
Subject:  Re: [App_rpt-users] New Raspberry Pi

Since the question was asked on this list I assumed it was about Allstar and
not the Pi in general. The Raspberry Pi is a perfectly good single board
computer just not for Allstar. That is why we moved to the Beagle Black.
Since the Black is now in full production there is no problem getting and
using it. It costs $20 more but it is worth that much more in what it does.

The Pi runs its Ethernet on the USB bus and that causes problems when you
are trying to run both Ethernet and USB simutaneously. It is also a slower
and older version processor than the Black. The B+ just adds a built-in hub
to expand the USB to four instead of two ports. The problem we had was data
not current capability.

73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio