[App_rpt-users] Playing mp3 files in app_rpt

Geoff ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 11:33:53 UTC 2014

On 06/06/2014 06:16 AM, kk6ecm wrote:
> The issue I've had is the fact The I'd does not play till the end,
> ignoring the FCC req of 10 minutes. And, being some what of a Linux
> newby, I'd like to understand your input below,
> "$~> sox newline_file(x) id_file newsline_file_id(x)
> (where 'x' denotes which newsline file, since the one long file is
> chunked up into several pieces.)"
>
> I'm aware of the partition ID in the ARRL news file, but don't know
> how to take advantage of it automatically. Does your command line
> address this? If so how? For sure, I'm missing something here.

"sox" is the command commonly used to convert the mp3 file to ulaw format.

There was someone who suggested using mp3split to create several mp3
files from the one long-ass mp3 that's downloadable from Newsline.

With that thought in mind, when you're converting all of the files from
mp3 to ulaw, assuming the mp3's that are broken up are less than 10
minutes, then at the end of each mp3 converted to ulaw file, add your
local id.  It's yet another option available in 'sox'.

type 'man sox' at a command prompt to get a better idea of how it works,
and what options are available to you.

---
73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR