[App_rpt-users] nighmare in allstar today

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Wed Jun 18 13:08:51 UTC 2014

Yes, the real benefit of Allstar can also be a problem, being able to make multiple connections. Often when this happens it is unintentional. One way to limit connections is to not route your node publicly and not advertise its existence. You will be able to connect out but no one will be able to connect in to you. You determine who you want to connect to. Of course if everyone did that we would not have much of a network so unless you really want to make a node private that is not a good idea.  If you go to the graphical map -

http://stats.allstarlink.org/getstatus.cgi?XXXXX

where XXXXX is replaced with your node you will see how things are connected. Often just dropping one offending link solves the problem. If someone is abusing there are ways to block IP addresses but hopefully you will not have to resort to that.
73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio