[App_rpt-users] Allstar connecting to Echolink?

Bryan D. Boyle bdboyle at bdboyle.com
Mon Mar 3 01:00:09 UTC 2014

On 3/2/2014 7:23 PM, mike at midnighteng.com wrote:

> I could be wrong but I think it takes a bit more time for the data to propagate
> to echolink from allstar.

The two have nothing to do with each other.  Takes about a half hour for
you to register with allstar and for the leaf nodes to pull the
registration file down.  Remember, allstar is a distributed peer-to-peer
network architecture (in many ways) on the back end, not a top-down
central management system (such as Echo and Cameron's old technology
systems)

Echolink is almost instantaneous; since all echo systems have to
authenticate to the mothership, once it shows up in the echo database,
it's assumed that it's available and users can thus connect.

Different authentication model.  If the Allstar mother ship goes tango
uniform, the leaf nodes can still operate.  If the same happens to the
Echolink servers, you're SOL.

> I think you really have two registrations going on. Echo after the allstar.
>
> Perhaps wait a bit longer ?

If you're in the active nodes list on allstar, you've successfully
registered.  Like I said, wait a half hour and try again.

(Me? I have echolink going to a 'dummy load' node; registered just to
say I have it, not to use it.  Cuts down on being bothered by drive by
lids with a computer system, cheap headset/mic combo, and badly adjusted
audio).

Bryan WB0YLE