[App_rpt-users] RTCM and IPv6

Kevin Custer kuggie at kuggie.com
Fri May 9 19:54:55 UTC 2014

On 5/9/2014 12:20 PM, ssedgwick wrote:
> Hi All,
> Working on a temporary RTCM setup to use while at the Dayton
> Hamvention and while at the hotel that does not have wired Ethernet.
> What I'm trying to do is connect the RTCM via the Ethernet port to my
> Windows laptop that is tethered to my Sprint mobile phone that has
> internet. I know there are much better ways of doing this, but this is
> what I have available without additional cost, and it's only going to
> be used for a couple days.  I have internet connection sharing turned
> on so the tethered internet connection is available on the
> Windows laptop Ethernet connection.  I have tested the Ethernet
> connection by connecting another Windows computer to the tethered
> laptops shared Ethernet connection and it works fine, but when I
> connect the RTCM it never connects.  I have DHCP enabled on the RTCM.
> Looking at the tethered laptop ipconfig screen we see both IPv4 and
> IPv6 addresses listed, but I'm not sure it that the issue or if it's
> something else.
> Any ideas what I could try to make this work.
> Thanks,
> Steve_WB8GRS

I use a Verizon mobile hot spot to do the same thing.  Like your phone,
the hot spot has no Ethernet connection.  I use a Ubiquiti NanoStation
Loco to make the wireless connection to the hot spot.  This creates a
wired connection which can be input to a router or used by itself.

This method also works for allowing more than the allowed number of
connections to a hot spot, or other cellular device.  Several
connections can be negotiated with a wireless router and one connection
to the cellular device.

Kevin