[App_rpt-users] Echolink and app_rpt: Looking for more information on permit=*-*

Bob kk6ecm at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 03:13:12 UTC 2014

OK... Echolink quality aside, I'm looking for some clarification how app_rpt
works with Echolink.

Attempting to understand the statement from Echolink, "If you are running
Asterisk with app_rpt and an EchoLink channel, be sure it is configured not
to allow other VoIP connections when an EchoLink station is connected. If
this isn't practical, please disable the EchoLink channel." It seems that
"other VoIP" means non-Echolink nodes; not sure how Allstar can do this.

How does permit=*-* ("prohibit computer-based connections") work with an
incoming Echolink computer based node, or with an app_rpt hosted Echolink
node in an Echolink to Echolink configuration. When the user enters *33 to
connect, is it actually Echolink nodes connecting, or is there a difference?

I think I get their point they don't want an Allstar node with Echolink
node, to simultaneously connect to another Allstar node that does not
support Echolink, but not sure why... still licensed amateurs involved.

I am dismayed with Echolink's assertion that the use of a copy of a paper
license is more official than the FCC recognized ULS site, which it appears
Allstarlink.org uses to validate the users license.

Thanks,

Bob

kk6ecm