[App_rpt-users] custom node announcement?

Bryan D. Boyle bdboyle at bdboyle.com
Tue Nov 25 23:57:08 UTC 2014

> On Nov 25, 2014, at 18:08, Bryan Fields <Bryan at bryanfields.net> wrote:
>
>> On 11/25/14, 2:22 PM, Robert A. Poff WB3AWJ wrote:
>> As far as I know there is no distribution of custom node name files via the
>> portal.
>
> The link I posted from 2009 said there was a way via the web portal.

It's now almost 2015.  The software has advanced a bit, as well as the population using it.  And still a volunteer effort.  And the documentation, such as it is, really should be read as a starting point, not canonical in many regards.  That's what the usefulness of list archive is for.

> There is this as part of the rc.updatenodelist script as well
> if [ $downloads -gt 100 ]
>                 then
>                         downloads=0
>                         sleep 600
>                         # use rsync to update the connect messages
>                         $RSYNC -av rsync://allstarlink.org/connect-messages
> /var/lib/asterisk/sounds/rpt/nodenames
>                         break; # Don't dwell on one server, Look for a new server
>                 fi
>
> There are node name files at rsync://allstarlink.org/connect-messages for some
> nodes as well
>
> If this is not a feature, why is it in the script?

Because of 'cruft', limited numbers of people maintaining the core because they have real jobs.

if it's not doing what you want, open up vi, delete the lines, save as a new file, and mod the crontab to use your new script.  It won't affect the net.

Options have been publicized (i use KB2EAR's repository) to work around issues like this, bought the O'Reilly Asterisk tome for more insight, and search voip.net for even more insights.  That's the beauty of open source: if something isn't working like you think it should, you can either wait for someone to fix it, fix it yourself, or figure out a workaround.

>> Some time ago KB2EAR had posted an rsync link to his "repository" of node name
>> files.
>> You should be able to find that post in the list archive.
>
> Ok, is that different than the rsync://allstarlink.org/connect-messages
> repository?

Yes

> I'd question which repository is the proper one for the Allstar network.

Any one that works for you.

> Can anyone see how this can be confusing?
> --

No, because it's a cooperative effort that, except for the registration server, is not controlled by any one person and depends on the system operator to manage their own system.