[App_rpt-users] HID Died

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Thu Oct 2 15:22:14 UTC 2014

Steve,

You did not say what hardware/software you were using.  This is a problem that has shown up in the BBB (v1.1) and has been discussed at length. In preparing for a 1.2 release we found several problems with the Acid (and Asterisk) code which could cause this. Without going into a long explanation there are timing problems in the code that were always there and have shown up in the BBB because it has no real HW clock. There was also an issue in simpleusb that caused unrecoverable HID errors with USB failures.

The timing problems are much less likely to show up on a PC with rather small timing changes on a ntp update they could occur.

The source of your problem could be many things from SW to noise on the USB (RFI,EMI, PS spikes etc.)  The URI  and USB are susceptible to this kind of interference. Many of us run medium to high power HF and that often is what causes it. Another major cause is power or ground loops that spike back into the USB. Turning off or on a power supply to you node radio is a good example. There have been many discussion about putting ferrites on the input and output lines of the URI and cleaning up PS issues.

It is important to try and get rid of HW problems as much as possible but the final fix is to make the system completely recoverable in the event this happens.

Be aware of what might be going on or has changed in your setup when the problem occurs.

One test you can make on a functioning system (uri green light flashing) is pull the USB cable from the URI wait a few seconds and plug it back in. If the flashing green does not recover then your SW would not be able to recover from the USB disruptions.

Let us know what HW/SW you are using and how that test went?

I believe we have eliminated most if not all of the problems that would cause the USB to not reset in the upcoming 1.2 BBB release.

73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio