[App_rpt-users] HID Die

Steve Denbow kd8biw at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 11:00:49 UTC 2014

Had some time this morning to do some trouble shooting based on some
feedback, here are the results to your questions and suggestions (which I
thank you for by the way!)

*"What is the vintage of the computer, and how long has it been in
operation? Is this a new "feature" that has appeared after years of use, or
is this a new build exhibiting this from the get go?"*

Computer is an IBM Lenovo ThinkCentre with a P4 processor, about 5 years
old. Has been running as a linux box for over a year. This problem started
about 6 months ago, so it was not always an issue.

*"I wonder if the computer is logically moving the USB device. When this
occurs, what are the results of executing lsusb at the Linux command line
after exiting the CLI> prompt? Does it find the URI, and at the address
shown in the error (4-1)? (lsusb will have two leading zeros... e.g
004-001)"*

[root at QTH_Server ~]# lsusb
Bus 004 Device 003: ID 0d8c:013a C-Media Electronics, Inc.
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

So it appears that the box is moving the device, so I do I fix that? In the
error, the location was 4-1

*One test you can make on a functioning system (uri green light flashing)
is pull the USB cable from the URI wait a few seconds and plug it back in.
If the flashing green does not recover then your SW would not be able to
recover from the USB disruptions.*

The green light starts flashing like normal after I unplug the USB cable,
and plug it back in. Here is the information from the CLI prompt when I do
that...

[Oct  4 06:35:04] WARNING[4502]: chan_usbradio.c:2073 used_blocks: Error
reading output space
  == Set device 4-1 to usb29912
[Oct  4 06:35:13] WARNING[4503]: chan_usbradio.c:1728 hidthread: Loaded
parameters from usbradio_tune_usb29912.conf for device usb29912 .

*USB has it?s issues at times. It?s probably not your software but you
should update if you haven?t in a while. More likely is the USB bus is
getting glitched. There might be an indication of that in dmesg (type dmseg
as the Linux prompt).*

usb 4-1: usbfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed cmd asterisk rqt 161 rq 1 len 4 ret
-71
usb 4-1: USB disconnect, address 2
usb 4-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
input: C-Media Electronics Inc.       USB PnP Sound Device as
/class/input/input2
input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.00 Device [C-Media Electronics Inc.       USB PnP
Sound Device] on usb-0000:00:1d.2-1

I did notice that someone or something was trying to "hack" into the box.
LOTS of attempts to connect, so I fixed that with a block of the offending
IP in iptables, not sure if that has something to do with it or not.

Thanks again everyone!

--
Steve Denbow | KD8BIW
kd8biw at gmail.com