[App_rpt-users] Using an Intermediate Repeater

Wayne wayne at anywherehost.net
Mon Sep 1 03:57:07 UTC 2014

Sorry for writing a book. It's go time!

Thanks for the reply, Tim. I ordered a RTCM yesterday. We have three
repeaters that we could vote but we think it better to continue using our
RC-210's. The resale value on them is so low that we'd be throwing away over
$1k. There are benefits on both sides of the question. We CAN get wi-fi to
one site but not others and none of them inexpensively. We figure that we'll
reuse the frequency pair with GPS to sync the transmitters (something I've
never done before,) lower the TX power so that two repeaters don't crash
into one another but instead pleasantly overlap, and then let users choose
which repeater they want to come in on.

I'd love full time voting and we may get there one day. The biggest problem
we have being in southern California is that all the hilltops are equally
able to hear bases and mobiles and to some extent HT's. We are already
coordinated on three of the four sites in question. We want guaranteed
coverage in the event of a regional emergency, like another earthquake in
Northridge. The ease by which we can telephone the RC-210 and unlink that
site is important. The trick as I have been warned is avoiding conflicting
DTMF. As I see it by telephoning the controller instead of OTR we might
avoid these conflicts. Additionally, our 900MHz system will serve as our
back-up linking. We can still communicate with any site using 900MHz. I
don't want to sell the RTCM short since I haven't even used one yet. But we
have weather receivers, link repeaters

With this said, in an emergency situation, like the Big One hitting southern
California, we will be delinking all repeaters. Allstar will not be needed
during this event. Does it make sense having a RTCM on each repeater rather
than just one RTCM on the primary repeater? The others will get theirs over
the link anyway.

Lastly, my boss owns an internet company and the server has been donated and
will be placed in the data center with 100Mbps throughput 24/7/365. The
server will be a dual processor AMD 248 single core with 4GB of RAM and RAID
5. I believe in giving back and will gladly share with others. Will I able
to offer to others? As well, I can either have a dedicated server but my
preference is a dedicated VPS using CentOS 6.x. They backup all servers
nightly and using Virtuozzo (part of Parallels Plesk environment; we load
Virtuozzo 4.7x and then Plesk on top of the container.) The advantage is
that if we have a hardware failure our node may be migrated to another node
in their server farm. If it is a catastrophic failure they can restore from
a recent backup. I even have an app on my phone that allows me to control
and even reboot the server.

Virtuozzo automatically installs its own template of CentOS and some
packages are missing, etc. Many are added back, like PHP and mySQLi and most
of the CentOS distro. How then can I load Acid and configure it in a
Virtuozzo environment? We may even load Plesk 12 on top of the node
considering the horsepower that it has. Is there a list of files that I will
need to get onto the VPS as well as RPM's or packages required by Allstar?

  _____