[App_rpt-users] What is Dahdi?

Bob kk6ecm at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 02:51:41 UTC 2014

This is what I understand... but looking for an expert view from someone
else.

Dahdi - Asterisk & hardware device interface

Asterisk - telephony switching and PBX service

Libpri - protocols used by Asterisk/Dahdi?

Zaptel - interface functionally similar to, and predating Dahdi?

Bob

kk6ecm

  _____

OK, not being a wise-ass, not trying to be stupid, that part's covered. Just
trying to understand.

What are the specific functions of:

Dahdi - Asterisk & hardware device interface

Asterisk - telephony switching and PBX service

Libpri - protocols used by Asterisk/Dahdi?

Zaptel - interface functionally similar to, and predating Dahdi?

I know they are all part of the whole package, and that whole package still
has me in awe. But being very curious type I wanted to know how this all
comes together.

In my simple mind I axe: why isn't Asterisk enough? I know what that one is,
but as I use app_rpt daily I wish I knew which of the above are providing
what part of the overall system.

George J Csahanin
W2DB
Allstar 2360 Echolink-Free