[App_rpt-users] Dial Watchdog Function

Steve Zingman szingman at msgstor.com
Sat Dec 12 18:01:52 UTC 2015

Ken,
As I posted below I could not recreate your issue. is there anything I'm
missing?

73, Steve

root at repeater:~# asterisk -r
Asterisk 1519, Copyright (C) 1999 - 2008 Digium, Inc. and others.
Created by Mark Spencer <markster at digium.com>
Asterisk comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; type 'core show warranty'
for details.
This is free software, with components licensed under the GNU General Public
License version 2 and other licenses; you are welcome to redistribute it
under
certain conditions. Type 'core show license' for details.
Connected to Asterisk 1519 currently running on repeater (pid = 4407)
repeater*CLI> rpt cmd 2150 cop 1 2150
repeater*CLI> Killed

root at repeater:~# service asterisk restart
root at repeater:~# asterisk -r
Asterisk 1519, Copyright (C) 1999 - 2008 Digium, Inc. and others.
Created by Mark Spencer <markster at digium.com>
Asterisk comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; type 'core show warranty'
for details.
This is free software, with components licensed under the GNU General Public
License version 2 and other licenses; you are welcome to redistribute it
under
certain conditions. Type 'core show license' for details.
Connected to Asterisk 1519 currently running on repeater (pid = 4462)
repeater*CLI>

On 12/12/2015 11:50 AM, Kenneth Grimard wrote:
> I download the dial release and installed it just after is first came out
> that was about 4 weeks ago.
>
> now if asterisk crash for any reason or if you use the cop,1 cop command
> it will not restart is self at all. you have to go into an ssh shell
> and issue a
> service asterisk stop then a service asterisk start.
>
> the service asterisk restart does not work for me on the x86 release.
>
> there seems to be no way for asterisk to restart itself after a crash
> or after using the cop,1 cop command.
>
> has there been any updates to the asterisk service command
> for systemd to fix this?
>
> ken n1dot
>

> On 12/12/2015 7:16 AM, Steve Zingman wrote:
>> Neil,
>> I misread your message last night.
>> I just tested service asterisk restart on DIAL x86 restarts a dead
>> asterisk. See below.
>>
>> root at repeater:/etc/init.d# ps ax | grep asterisk
>>  1081 ?        Ssl    0:01 /usr/sbin/asterisk
>>  1117 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep asterisk
>>
>> root at repeater:/etc/init.d# kill -9 1081
>>
>> root at repeater:/etc/init.d# ps ax | grep asterisk
>>  1125 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep asterisk
>>
>> root at repeater:/etc/init.d# asterisk -r
>> Asterisk 1519, Copyright (C) 1999 - 2008 Digium, Inc. and others.
>> Created by Mark Spencer <markster at digium.com>
>> Asterisk comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; type 'core show warranty'
>> for details.
>> This is free software, with components licensed under the GNU General
>> Public
>> License version 2 and other licenses; you are welcome to redistribute
>> it under
>> certain conditions. Type 'core show license' for details.
>> Unable to connect to remote asterisk (does /var/run/asterisk.ctl exist?)
>>
>> root at repeater:/etc/init.d# service asterisk restart
>>
>> root at repeater:/etc/init.d# ps ax | grep asterisk
>>  1143 ?        Ssl    0:00 /usr/sbin/asterisk
>>  1171 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep asterisk
>>
>> root at repeater:/etc/init.d# asterisk -r
>> Asterisk 1519, Copyright (C) 1999 - 2008 Digium, Inc. and others.
>> Created by Mark Spencer <markster at digium.com>
>> Asterisk comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; type 'core show warranty'
>> for details.
>> This is free software, with components licensed under the GNU General
>> Public
>> License version 2 and other licenses; you are welcome to redistribute
>> it under
>> certain conditions. Type 'core show license' for details.
>> Connected to Asterisk 1519 currently running on repeater (pid = 1143)
>> repeater*CLI>
>>
>> 73, Steve N4IRS
>>
>> On 12/12/2015 12:44 AM, Neil k8it wrote:
>>> Steve
>>> I have been evaluating Dial on a Linux PC
>>> Observations
>>> 1. When asterisk crashes, there is no restart or watchdog
>>> 2.this makes debugging very difficult
>>> 3.asterisk service mode restart does not seem to work