[App_rpt-users] BBB_Allstar_v1.2.1 Will Not Boot

Christopher Kovacs w0anm73 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 22:15:12 UTC 2015

Hi Birton,

What image are you using?  After downloading the image and unzip'ing the
image, what is the md5sum (use Linux utility "md54um <imagename>"

It's possible that you are getting a truncation of the file.  Here is the
latest md5um of  BBB image that I downloaded:

md5sum BBB_Allstar_1.2.1.img
99351fca14d84c608be6420d556e967d  BBB_Allstar_1.2.1.img

md5sum BBB_Allstar_v1.2.1.zip
7757d3ad29ee4635698d91c2dc4285ac  BBB_Allstar_v1.2.1.zip

For Linux systems in creating the image, I unzip the image and use the dd
command (as root) as follows:

unzip BBB_Allstar_v1.2.1.zip
dd if=BBB_Allstar_1.2.1.img of=/dev/sdh  bs=1M

note: the device in the above example is the one my system recognizes for
the sd card.

Also, if you are creating the image on a Linux system, you can check the
image in a couple of ways...  Once the image is created, remove and
re-insert the sd-card. Determine the device that the sd-card is being
recognized. In my case, it's the "/dev/sdh" device.  You can then check the
partitions:

fsck -C -f /dev/sdh1   (fat file system)
fsck -C -f /dev/sdh2   (ext4 file system)

Also note, some Linux distributions will automatically mount the sd-card.
You will need to umount the file system prior to running file check (fsck).

I suspect that the image may be corrupt.

73, Happy Holidays,

Chris,  w0anm