[App_rpt-users] Asterisk RF Gateway via Satellite

Technology Frontier | TF.OPS2 tf.ops2 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 16:53:50 UTC 2015

Yes, VoIP over satellite really is viable. Technology has definitely changed over the past 10 years, some of the satellites actually have the router / switch built-in which helps a lot. So far we haven't had anyone mention "the 30 minute delay" where the connection would disappear and then come back right at the point where it left off. Both of the primary satellite ISPs (HughesNet and Viasat Exede) offer IP Phone services, if VoIP wasn't viable I doubt they would want the additional support headaches to deal with.

There's still the problem with inbound traffic being blocked when there's no client initiated connection (another PBX / RF Gateway or proxy takes care of this problem though).

Mars - N0PCO