[App_rpt-users] Raspberry pi status

Bill South wbs099 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 6 15:04:25 UTC 2015

It's one thing to do a proof-of-concept and roll out some files and then say "have a nice day but no support is provided".  All too often I see that in the technology and experimentation world, which may be fine for some, but less than ideal for other, less technical folks.  Doug has gone way beyond that point by not only doing the proof-of-concept but also providing a number of scripts to make the install smooth on the BBB (my BBB install was SO much easier than my first ACID install).  Beyond that Doug has set up a very detailed web site to answer just about any question one might have about setting up Allstar on a BBB.  But above even that effort Doug has explained many of the various configuration facets of Allstar that previously had been something of a mystery.  He not only explained some things in his BBB web page that were simply not all the clear before related to general Allstar setup, but when asked (and I for one did ask several questions of
 him) he responded to those questions with clear, concise responses.  Aside from the BBB-specific documentation itself, his web site is an excellent learning experience related to Allstar configuration overall.

Experimentation is certainly a cornerstone of ham radio and all those who have put forth these various solutions on different platforms are to be commended for the efforts, as some of us don't have the expertise or time to do that ourselves but still wish to be involved in this new technology.  It just seems to me that Doug went the extra mile to put together the BBB setup (after more than a little testing on the RPI platform first) then provide significant and detailed documentation to help all of us.  Thanks Doug for your extra efforts in this regard.