[App_rpt-users] Raspberry PI-2 and Asterisk

B. McIntosh [Pace] bmcintosh at paceprofessional.co.uk
Sat Feb 7 17:52:43 UTC 2015

Hi David,

No, I haven't tried the Allstar code on PI2. I don't intend to. I've got a
BBB for that. Sorry if its off topic, but I figured that in these early days
of the PI2 folk might be interested in my finding that the mainstream
Asterisk code is not working well on the standard distro, yet works fine on
the older PI. It occurred to me that if the mainstream package isn't working
where it used to on the old machine, you might want to infer that the extra
overhead of using the Allstar code probably wouldn't be too successful
either. Only an inference and yet to be demonstrated.

I only ever want to run vanilla asterisk on the PI2 and so had better make
this the last post on the point since I should be more "on topic" on the
Asterisk users mailing list for that.

73 and keep up the good work

Bernie
GM4WZG

Hi Bernie,

So your running a recent Asterisk version, but not the AllStar release,
on the RPi?  Have you tried the AllStar code?

Even though Asterisk is the host environment for AllStar, the
apps/app_rpt.c, channels/chan_simpleusb.c and related code make comparing
these different environments impossible. From a resource utilization
standpoint, it's rather like comparing a freezer ice cube to the iceberg
that sank the Titanic!!  (Well, maybe not quite that extreme! HiHI)
...The AllStar code (with USB support) uses a LOT of CPU power, etc.!

For all who are interested out there, the plain Asterisk distro (not
AllStar) runs great on most of the little boards that I've tested.

Anyway, please don't take this as criticism--I'm not meaning that at all.
And, I'm very interested to hear what results users are having with any
installation of Asterisk or AllStar.

73, David KB4FXC