[App_rpt-users] Hit and run

Geoff ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 22:21:43 UTC 2015

On 02/09/2015 04:08 PM, Skyler F wrote:
> Maybe you should create an announcement on connect, which plays an
> audio file just to the node that connected to politely ask them to
> stay for longer than a minute. I wonder if that is possible to send
> audio to specific nodes? In my opinion, a minute or two is good
> enough. I just get ticked off when someone connects and then
> disconnects so fast, in matter of seconds. they don't even throw their
> ID out.

I stopped a reply that I was making, along those same lines, but then I
stopped to think... if someone on a linked repeater system connects to a
node, then, in the nature of how allstar works, that audio played from
the node being connected to, would play throughout the linked repeater
system.  That'd probably confuse regular users of that system.
Remember, after all, *we*, the guys and gals who do the configuration of
our nodes/repeaters, -are- (99% of the time) those responsible for our
systems.

Having that kind of audio playing out, I wouldn't think, would most
probably not be a good idea.

Although, there's not much difference in operators of allstar and
echolink, if all they're going to be doing is connecting for a minute or
two, then disappearing with out waiting around for a response (if they
say anything at all), or a drive-by to see if anyone is talking, hearing
nothing, and disconnecting and moving to the next node.

This is how hams lost 11 meters, back in the late 40's.  People go and
listen, hear nothing, don't say anything, and then go away.  The band
was probably open more often than not, but if no one was talking while
someone was listening, then those listening would assume the band is dead.

Connect, wait to see if the system is busy or not, then (if not) make
some noise!  Wait around a bit!  Make some noise *again*!  THEN, move on.

It's exactly because of the drive-by's on Echolink (mostly) that I've
turned the telemetry "OFF" on my nodes.  If they don't say anything, I
don't even want to know they're there.  If they feel like the users of
my system are ignoring them, then it's their loss, by not keying up and
identifying their presence.

Your mileage may vary.

-Geoff/W5OMR