[App_rpt-users] Wide area traffic tradeoff

mike at midnighteng.com mike at midnighteng.com
Sat Feb 14 01:49:16 UTC 2015

While I echo many of Doug's comments,

I would like to inject a perspective that wide-area continuous links
should have a target purpose in mind. Such as covering the stretch of a
interstate highway or to cover areas where there are little to no roads
...etc. A purpose.

To do it only to have some chatter on your machine is not necessarily a
wise move but to each his own. You would be much better off finding other
regional systems to make your own mini-wide-link for more chatter. Folks
closer to each other will have more in common and purpose of a everyday
link.

It has been obvious to me that when to many local systems are tied to a
linked group, it deters conversation rather than promote it. Folks are
afraid to have a simple chat on known wide systems. For what exact
reasons, I have not been able to figure out but it is there.

I think allstar wide-area links shine best when we do this for special
events like nets of a common interest. Linking only for the event and not
continuous everyday. I personally would like to see more of this type of
linking.
I have pledged one node to simply "tune-in" to nets happening on the
system. It is the most interesting way of connecting people and sharing
their ideas and keeping some fresh flavors of interest. Unfortunately, we
have so few amateur nets around to tune into.

...mike/kb8jnm