[App_rpt-users] Wide area traffic tradeoff

Robert A. Poff wb3awj at comcast.net
Sat Feb 14 03:45:38 UTC 2015

Then you have the situation like here in this county. Three Allstar repeaters, linked together, giving good hand held coverage around two counties. Nothing is heard on them for days or even weeks at a time.

But, connect them to WAN for a couple hours one night... and the complaints start. "I'm not listening there, it's too busy" HUH?

And I have one guy who constantly complains about how it sounds "like a pinball machine when they're all linked together" Again..... HUH? I haven't figured out what he's listening to (or smoking) but it's not our Allstar repeaters.

But "pile ups" on WAN? Really? Lately? As I've been listening, even on weekends, you may go hours without hearing anyone. And then maybe two guys show up. Soon one of them will inevitably say "Well, we better not tie up the system." and sign off. Back to the deafening silence.

It's all in the perception I suppose.