[App_rpt-users] Wide area traffic tradeoff

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Sat Feb 14 02:35:04 UTC 2015

Educate you users to NOT connect
          the local hub to the WAN system or any other large network.

    Say what?  WAN is an open system - why would you tell people that?

       We had a problem with that for
          awhile...

    What exactly was the "problem"?

Kevin, Don't be so defensive! I did not say there was a problem with the WAN, what I was saying was when you have a local hub of users that are 24/7 connected together and one of them connects to a WAN simultaneously it can be a problem in that all of the sudden you have a very busy channel and the local have lost their ability to easily talk among each other. The exact problem the original poster pointed out.

To each his own. If you like massive connections they are out there for you. Just don't pollute the quieter smaller hubs with that if they don't want it. New users often make multiple connections not thinking that they are linking the world, thus you educate them. It is usually done unintentionally.

73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio