[App_rpt-users] Audio distortion using usbradio

Kevin Custer kuggie at kuggie.com
Wed Jan 14 22:26:21 UTC 2015

I have seen the subject line mentioned many times, and have decided to
comment on it.

Not all platforms had distortion when usbradio was being used. The
'other' distribution had a patch applied to it nearly three years ago.
Recently, the ACID distribution had the fix applied to it.  This will
resolve any audio distortion that may have been present when using
usbradio.  The patch is not applied automatically.  In other words, any
new installations will automatically be running the new, fixed version,
and any old installations will not be effected unless you choose to
re-do the tuning.

Thanks go out to Jim - WB6NIL for patching the code where this problem
was concerned.

While there may be instances where simpleusb is desired, especially on
horsepower challenged platforms, there are no longer any distortion
issues that would be circumvented by using simpleusb.  As such, usbradio
is fine as the default as it is simpler to use and works just fine for
most applications of this technology.

Kevin  - W3KKC