[App_rpt-users] Need help DD command

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Thu Jan 15 03:40:34 UTC 2015

Robert,

 All that info is on the hamvoip site in howto's but I will repeat some highlights here.

To copy an image to an SD card you insert the card into a reader/writer (usually a USB FOB)

In Ubuntu it should mount the device. Do a 'df' at the Linux prompt to see how it is mounted. In my case on my Ubuntu laptop the main hard drive is /dev/sda1  and the SD card comes up a /dev/sdb

In any case make absolutely sure you have the right device. dd is NOT forgiving and will just a happily write to your hard drive or another device.

The assuming you are in the directory where the image resides you do the following:

dd if=nameofimage.img of=/dev/sdb

Of course you replace the filename and output device with your values.

To make an image from the SD card you would do the following:

dd if=/dev/sdb bs=1024 count=3900000 of=nameofimage.img

Again use your values.

Also be aware that the 1.2.1 code has a very nice backup system built-in  Read the backup howto on the web page.

Also BBB related questions should be asked on the arm-allstar list. You can join the list from a link on the hamvoip.org web page.
73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio