[App_rpt-users] simplex vs duplex for a home node

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Sun Jan 18 01:36:10 UTC 2015

The main reason to use full duplex is to have the capability to command your node while another station is transmitting. In half duplex you have to wait for a clear channel. The real feature of full duplex (being able to talk like you are on the phone) would only be achieved if you had completely full duplex systems at both ends including the user transceiver. This could be achieved without radios using iaxrpt at both ends.

You could use two cheap radios, one RX and the other TX for full duplex. You would either need enough antenna separation or use a small duplexor with one antenna.

To see my simple repeater using the SA818 modules see -

http://crompton.com/hamradio/818_transceiver_module/

Or the link on hamvoip.org

You could use any two radios, mix or match, to achieve the same result.

Remember to set  duplex=2 in rpt.conf if you are using it as a repeater full duplex.
73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio