[App_rpt-users] More than 4 nodes on a PC

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Wed Jan 21 02:42:11 UTC 2015

Allstar works fine on Debian. There is no official release but I have had it running on both Debain and Ubuntu here. Ubuntu is not recommended as it requires a kernel recompile and with its frequent upgrade it is almost guaranteed it would overwrite the kernel at some point. I don't see the bottleneck being USB speed but rather inefficient coding of the USB channel driver that could be corrected. This is not a criticism of the code as it was written to the standards of USB at the time and things have changed considerably both in hardware and software.

Allstar also works well in Archlinux as we have done on the Beagle Bone Black which brings up another point for multiple nodes - multiple Beagle Blacks. The downside is the management of multiple servers but the upside is redundancy. If one went out the others would remain operational as opposed to the PC which would take out the entire system if it went down. I know of at least one system using four blacks mounted on a board with individual USB fobs. Add a four port ethernet switch, four wall warts and you have a four node system. Total cost about $250 using your own modified FOBS.
73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio