[App_rpt-users] Multiple Repeaters Per Site

R. Wayne allstar at controlservers.net
Sat Mar 21 20:38:44 UTC 2015

Allstar wasn’t an option when our repeater was first activated and ultimately grew into three sites. There is something to be said about each repeater being able to drop out and connect elsewhere. But that isn’t our current situation.

As I stated this is partly about $$$. We already have the RC-210’s and need to question over $1k per site. You cannot run FSCK via SSH if the file system is really FUBARed. How will you reformat and restore from a back-up without going to the site? Our sites are at >5k feet and often inaccessible due to snow. Without KVM/IP you will lose connectivity. I have been a network administrator for many, many years. Been there; done that. Your point is well taken that a small OS can be recovered faster than terabytes but only if you can drive to the site. I remain very hesitant to become PC-based at a remote site.

One point on VM containers. A PC that has multiple or even a single container [some still call it a node] can have a scheduled backup run to a remote PC. If the node or even the PC fails it may be restored by issuing a simple command on the back-up server that would in our case be located in our data center. No KVM/IP needed in this case; just a second PC running Linux/Virtuozzo/VMWare. In a CRON one enters vzbackup –Cg –p –e [nodeID][nodeID] one time unless you alter the config file(s). Restoring is just as easy once a P2 that finally died has been replaced with another legacy PC just as aged and long in the tooth. It is one thing to say that the overhead is minimal and that a P2 will work and still another to use something with a limited supply of spare parts.

Why such a powerful hub? Because a have a room full of already built server class PC’s for free.  Add a HDD and go. Most of the boards don’t have SATA/IDE busses in anticipation of an external controller that actually could be SATA/SSD. But would you really risk an out-dated P2 at a remote possibly inaccessible site? But we also would like to share with others. This is why our preference of RTCM’s. Regardless of a RC-210 controller we can be all Allstar-based without PC’s at remote sites far cheaper than with. No moving parts.

I think that the initial question has been answered but each of you has given me things to think about. At this point I am leaning towards using the RC-210’s rather than selling them on eBay for far less than we paid.  One RTCM, one node number, X number of repeaters/remote bases. If it doesn’t work we can change it and add RTCM’s for each repeater.