[App_rpt-users] Multiple Repeaters Per Site

Keith Goobie keith at goobie.org
Sat Mar 21 21:41:46 UTC 2015

We run a hybrid of Linux (Allstar – IRLP – other) at our remote sites, but
we do front end the computers with a number of RLC-DSP404.  Our approach
assumes that you have the $$$ to complete.

In our group we are strong believers in server grade technologies, i.e. It
comes with a firmware based kvm/ip mini-os, that allows you to ethernet
connect and communicate with a serial port connected to the OS, regardless
of the shape / state it is in – making fsck possible.  You can then have
access to the bios and if you have a spare connected drive, then you switch
it out.  Pricing on server grade packages are sub $1K if not more.

Remote sites – you should strongly consider SSD.  Much less heat than a
spinning drive and delivers 3 times or better performance.  If you need to
do a fsck, then it goes by much much quicker.  You should also build in
“sync”s in Linux to regularly flush out the system memory to the SSD.

VM do not at this stage work well with Allstar.  Avoid the pain of trying
and realizing your time was lost.

We also run DC and AC power ethernet accessed controllers, has helped to
sort out a number of issues, that would have prompted a site visit.

Having put forth ways to fortify your remote repeater site, I will still
promise you that things do break, but it is how you plan for it that puts
you in the best position to run a sustaining operation.  Unfortunately
higher service levels, means higher dollars.

Keith
VA3YC

keith at goobie.org
Keith Goobie