[App_rpt-users] Simplex node

Kevin Custer kuggie at kuggie.com
Fri Mar 27 16:20:58 UTC 2015

On 3/27/2015 9:55 AM, Doug Crompton wrote:

> ------------snip-------------
> Although there has been a slight improvement in usbradio in the latest
> svn it still does not have the exceptionally clean audio that
> simpleusb does.
>
> *73 Doug
> WA3DSP
> http://www.crompton.com/hamradio*

Doug,

I have seen this statement from you many times.  I have about 50
installations of usbradio where I don't experience these issues you
claim.  Will you please quantify your statement as to whether or not the
issues you claim are for the BBB release, or any ACID release - and also
if it pertains to only the BBB or any computer platform.

I have baseline performance specifications using usbradio and PC
hardware.  While the performance does change slightly due to the exact
radio adapter device, the overall response and distortion specifications
are very consistent when using G.722 -u-law.  My performance
specifications show that any distortions or response issues contributed
directly by app_rpt, any channel driver, or the radio interface are well
below detection by the human ear.  In fact, I can guarantee you that
more distortion is generally experienced when running simpleusb audio
through any radio.  In other words, there is more distortion and
response issues because of the radio then from this application and its
supporting hardware in usbradio.

I'll apologize that I had to hijack this thread from the arm-allstar
email group and re-post it here - because I'm no longer allowed to
participate in your group directly.

As Allan Crites would say - "Your turn"...

Kevin Custer - W3KKC