[App_rpt-users] Squelch Tail Elimination

REDBUTTON_CTRL jrorke at cogeco.ca
Sun Mar 29 12:09:42 UTC 2015

The short answer is yes.

What you need to do is bring out raw discriminator to the URI or USB
fob. Then configure youfr node for USB radio to have

Carrierfrom = dsp and ctcss from = dsp.
you also need to set the rx demod to flat.

[usbnode_num]

hdwtype=0
rxboost=1
txboost=1
rxctcssrelax=1
txctcssdefault=131.8    ; default pl tone
rxctcssfreqs=131.8    ;rx pl tone
txctcssfreqs=131.8    ;tx pl tone if used
;rxctcssoverride=0
carrierfrom=dsp    ;carrier squelch detection
ctcssfrom=dsp    ; pl tone detection
rxdemod=flat
txprelim=yes
txlimonly=no
txtoctype=phase
txmixa=voice
txmixb=no
invertptt=0
duplex=0
rxondelay=0
rxnoisefiltype=0
eeprom=0

Save your settings and restart your Allstar node so the changes take affect.
Do your audio calibrations.

Then you will need to set the carrier squelch. Typically the default
squelch setting in Allstar is below the threshold. So you will get
squelch crashes.

Do a "radio tune rxsquelch" at the cli with no signal at the receiver.
It will return the current squelch setting and the current squelch level.

*CLI> radio tune rxsquelch
Current Signal Strength is 788
Current Squelch setting is 500

If the squelch level is below the signal strength then the carrier
squelch is open.
Set the squelch higher than the signal strength by about 80-100 points.

*CLI> radio tune rxsquelch 820 <enter>

Try the squelch. It should give you a "fast squelch" for signals that
have 20 db quieting or better.
then test the threshold and see how weak signal will open the squelch.
You may have to tweak the squelch to liking.

Once you have the squelch set correctly then save thew settings.

*CLI> radio tune save.

You should be good to go.

Jon VA3RQ