[App_rpt-users] Squelch Tail Elimination

REDBUTTON_CTRL jrorke at cogeco.ca
Sun Mar 29 13:50:11 UTC 2015

> After relocating our MSF 5000 to a new location and adjusting the
> squelch as low as we could reliably go we noticed that we have a
> squelch tail. Our coordination requires that we don't.
Just a further explanation on squelch tail. This is usually the noise
burst heard after unkeying. I find it difficult to believe that anyone
would require a repeater to not have a squelch burst as a requirement
for coordination.

Having said that, what is probably meant is CTCSS or tone squelch is
required. Sometimes this is referred to as "PL" for Motorola equipment
and "Channel Guard " for GE.

> It appears that the MSF has a fixed squelch tail elimination method an
> no control other than cranking up the squelch again. This is
> surprising since we use PL encode / decode. I would think that the PL
> would mute as soon as the user unkeys.
Motorola and GE and a few others have a feature that is used along with
simple ctcss tone decoding. The radios transmit the pl tone and when the
radio is unkeyed, the transmitter stays on for about 250 MS and changes
the tone phase, then drops the transmitter. The phase change tells the
tone decoder at the other end to mute the audio before the carrier
drops. So this is how they eliminate the squelch burst. This is referred
to as "Reverse Burst" for Motorola radios and the  GE version is called
"Squelch Tail Elimination" or STE.

Radios that have Reverse Burst (or STE) feature, normally have a 200-300
ms delay after the tone disappears before it mutes the receive audio
unless it gets the phase shift of the PL tone then it mutes immediately.

This is the way it works for radios and repeaters that both employ
reverse burst on transmit and Receive.

So what happens when you have a radio that doesn't transmit reverse burst?

The mobile radio doesn't send the reverse burst but just drops the
carrier. The repeater decoder will give the 250 ms squelch burst. It
does this because there was no phase shift in the tone to tell the
receiver to mute before the carrier was dropped. Also the delay is in
place in case the signal is weak and prevents the squelch from chopping
the audio.

Most ham radio rigs don't encode the reverse burst, thus the long
squelch burst at the end of every transmission.

Now in the case of the MSF, it could be setup so that if its put into
carrier squelch mode then the Motorola "Smart squelch" would take care
of most of the squelch bursts if the signals are 20 db quieting or better.

In this case the COR line could be brought out to the URI and some how
you would also need to bring out a line from the PL decoder that
operates independently from COR, even though its "not being used" from
the MSFs point of view.

The Allstar node would then be configured to use external hardware COR
and PL signals instead of doing the dsp internally.

In my opinion it would seem easier to just bring out the discriminator
and let the Allstar node do all the hard work on the RX side.
The App_Rpt SW has a good SW "Smart Squelch" for carrier squelch and
also does work with reverse burst radios too. So most of the time you
will have no squelch tails on good signals and only have some bursts on
the weak signals.

Jon VA3RQ