[App_rpt-users] Motorola MSF / Voting / Receivers;

R. Wayne allstar at controlservers.net
Sat May 9 13:33:14 UTC 2015

We have learned the hard way that our Motorola MSF 5000 repeaters with 30 KHz channel spacing and a 2 MHz wide front-end just cannot handle southern California’s 15 KHz channel spacing. We’ve tried using the 15 KHz replacement crystals with miserable results. We have not located 20 KHz crystals and even if we could we don't know what circuit changes would be necessary to tailor the audio response. We have asked on a site how to interface a Motorola CDM 750 mobile transceiver with 20 KHz channel spacing and instead of an answer we’re told it won’t work. It’s a mobile. Don’t waste your time. Well, its our time to experiment. I know of several popular repeaters here on SoCal built using the CDM 750 / 1250.

OK. About Allstar. It seems if we can’t get an answer about directly interfacing a second receiver to a MSF 5000 that is designed for a second receiver we need to look at how Allstar can allow us to use an external receiver. Besides the obvious of a USB or RTCM is there any way to create like a LOCALHOST situation at the repeater site where we can almost eliminate any audio delay? We know that, and plan to use, off-site voting to cover our rather large footprint. That will have to be on an external Internet IP rather than an internal IP (192.168.x.x). Can we have both? An internal network and an external network? Or do we have to use one network especially if we plan on doing voting?

Thank you in advance.

R. Wayne